Skip to main content
Daf Yomi In Motion #108- Yevamos Daf 25- Rumor and Suspicion
Rav and Rebbe:
- Man rumored to have lived with Eishes Eish.
- Husband of women divorces her because of the rumor.
- Suspect man marries the women even though it’s forbidden.
- Rav- the suspect only has to divorce her if witnesses testify that the relations in fact happened.
- Rebbe- Suspect must divorce her even without witnesses because it’s suspicious and strengthens the rumor the fact that they got married as soon as the women was divorced from first husband.
- the “boel” adulterer is forbidden to be with her Diorissa if they had relations. In this case the strong suspicion forbids them derabbonen.
- Rav and Rebbe aren’t arguing – rather just referring to different aspects of the case of when the rumor was broken.
- Rav is just telling us that even when the the rumor was broken by a contradictory rumor, which normally allows them to stay married, if witnesses testify they have to divorce.
- Rebbe said that he has to divorce because of an unbroken rumor that continued for at least a day and a half.
Divorces Wife because of Shem Rah or Neder Shouldn’t take her back
- If the husband does remarry her we don’t make him divorce her.
Messenger that brings a Get from outside of Eretz Israel shouldn’t marry her
- If the get is coming from Eretz Israel then he can marry her.
- Reason: from Chutz L’oretz we’re relying on his word for the L’Shma and from Eretz Israel we’re not relying on him for the L’shma.
Rabbonen vs. Rebbe Yehuda
- Messenger says one of the following things:
- husband is dead.
- I killed your husband or
- we killed your husband.
- Rabbonen: he can’t marry her but others can for all statements.
- Rebbe Yehuda:
- “I killed him” nobody can marry her.
- For the other two wordings messenger can’t marry her but others can.
- Rav Manahsa and Rav Yosef-
- Rav Manasha- the rabbonen aren’t lenient with Aidus Eisha and if the Aid is a Rasha Diorissa he’s not believed that her husband died.
- Messenger’s testimony is believed for others because he holds like Rava- Palginin Dibura.
- Therefore even Rovah B’Ritzoni Aid is believed.
- Rav Yosef that Rovah B’ritzoni isn’t believed is because he holds only like Rav Yehuda.
- Rav Yosef said for the Avera of Rovah the Aid wasn’t believed and for Aidus Eisha the Aid was believed for others.
- Aidus Eisha is different because we’re lenient.
- Rav Manasha- that said we’re not lenient with Aidus Eisha holds only like Rav Yehuda.
Rav Ashi- Where the Rabbonen forbade to remarry the women and he married B’Issur We let them stay together.
- Chochum that Ussered the women on her husband from going back to him. Didn’t Moter her Neder.
- Messenger that brought the get.
- Maid Servant that was freed.
- Goya that converted.